Sunday, September 27, 2009

Monmouth Saturday review

Great review from Edward Shirley via Madelina:

Even though Friday was superb, Saturday was much better and I can see why the band needed to have warm up. The whole lot just seemed to gel better and it all looked more natural. It was louder too but maybe that was because I was four rows nearer to the stage. Much better audience reaction on Saturday too, with all standing for the last few numbers and the space in front of the stage packed with standing people too. I'd be interested to hear what other members who went to both nights feel.

A few points which have been raised but I don't think have been answered yet:

Merchandise there was none which surprised me. I'd taken out too much cash to ensure I got a tour t-shirt and a then-and-now brochure but all there was was an assortment of CDs and Ian's 'Diary'. Looking at posts about lack of recording plans and seeing lack of merchandise I wonder if maybe even the powers that be were doubtful about whether or not this would really happen!

No glam, no platform boots, no surprise there. The band were all smart but casual and on Friday Overend appeared to have a noose around his neck! I know nothing about equipment but Overend had a pink base with the letters OW on and the swallow made an appearance towards the end on both nights but I don't think it was played. The Maltese cross was played for maybe one number, I think Angeline. Ian said he'd been given it for a birthday present on his recent, well publicised birthday. I think it had been owned for a while by somebody who posts here. Could you enlighten us on that? The Hammond is a legendry part of MTH history and it wouldn't have been the same without it. For I Wish I Wish I Was Your Mother, the band sat in a line across the front of the stage on stools. As they were preparing Verden had some other small but ancient piece of kit and Ian commented that Verden plays things that are fifty years old then he's surprised when they don't work! The wag next to me said it sounded just like his wife!

I understood the young male backing singer was Jim Ralphs, youngest son of Mick rather than Stan's grandson. The backing singers came on around the time of GAORR and stayed till nearly the end, leaving quietly during the last few bars of Saturday Gig to leave just the five band members on the stage alone. The end of the show was surreal, with the instrumental backing of Saturday Gig fading to leave the band singing 'Goodbye' accapella then taking of their instruments and walking quietly away.

For the second night the equipment had been rearranged slightly with Ian's keyboard moved in from the edge to sit almost behind Mick's mike. Some of Verden's wooden cabinet things had been rearranged too.

No Joe, nobody else, just James Maestro working hard as Ian's toady. Anybody know who all the other roadies were? They seemed to be into it, rather than just working!

Mick sang 'Ready For Love' For me this didn't work, his vocal range isn't what it was and he had to sing the whole melody differently to be sure he could do it. When Ian and Overend did the chorus it sounded rather like 'this is how it's done!'. Mick had to sing something though and this was as good a choice as any, so I'm glad it was there. We didn't get the whole of 'After Lights' but I was glad to see it included.

Overend sang, played lead and took centre stage for Born Late. Ian played base. He very obviously sang Listen Heller rather than feller which I believe is what he wrote originally but was changed for fear of litigation. Must listen and see if he does that on other live recordings. I have always underestimated the contribution that Overend's backing vocals make to the MTH sound. Somebody commented about Overend being in the shade, I can tell you he wasn't. For me he was the biggest surprise of the show. Beforehand I'd got the feeling he was reluctant but he spent the whole of both nights looking like a child who'd just found a long lost toy. All his classic poses were there and he made every effort to interact with the audience and still managed to pick out some 'individual' looking women. Far from being laid back he was nearly off the front of the stage a few times. I don't know why the Youtube clips look like that.

The set list was the same order both nights with The Original Mixed Up Kid slotted into the seated bit before I Wish I Was Your Mother and Like A Rolling Stone before The Journey. I got the feeling that LARS may have been an impromptu thing that Ian started on the piano as somebody wasn't ready and everybody gradually joined in. I too was surprised at Hymn For The Dudes as the opener and would prefer them to start with a bang!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much - i REALLY can not wait. i have been waiting for this day since i was a kid working in a westchester country (NY) record store and Ian walked in to see if his record was displayed (it was) . Very happy to get the chance to come to london to see MTH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog and am reading through it. An MTH fan since taking a chance on the Wildlife LP when it first came out, I was fortunate enough to see the band on Broadway, NYC. Best concert I ever saw!!! Unfortunately, can't make it to London, but I just pre-ordered the recording of the Oct 1st show being offered exclusively by ConcertLive.

    Best regards, Glen in NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tickets for two London shows next weekend but also managed to get one of the last few remaining Friday night Monmouth show tickets. I was so glad I was there it was magical. I would have been so annoyed if I had missed out as Monmouth is just a 45 minutes drive from where I live.

    There was wild anticipation when the lights went down and the Jupiter tape came on. The band walked on stage and there was a standing ovation as all MTH fans present acknowledged the fact that this was the first public performance by the band in 35 years. What a pity Buffin was unable to make it due to illness.

    Anyway the band rocked and were musically tight and in good form. It was brilliant to see Overend strutting his stuff and doing those old poses ... man it brought back some great memories.

    I was on this small balcony thing hanging right over the stage. There were many special moments and highlights, but for me one special moment was when Mick and Ian were together playing their Les Paul's during one number and they both looked up to see me give a big thumbs up! They both smiled and I remember thinking despite all the great bands and performances I have seen over the years there is nothing quite so special or magical as a Mott gig.

    Great evening, magical experience and I cannot wait for the weekend to see the band in London. Of your going your in for a great time!

    Jon Bailey Bristol
    jon_bailey@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last I saw MTH was at Massey Hall in Toronto,Canada circa 1973 or 1974.I still have the ticket stub somewhere.Cannot wait to see the boys on Oct 6th.Four of us are flying into London on Friday.This will be the concert of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to the SATURDAY GIG agt momouth - I am ot preteding to be the best mott the fan in the world but they were part of my life in the 70s and with the exception of T Rex they were my favourite band of all time - Anyway my last channce to see Mott live was in Torquay i the 70s when Ian Hunter had to cancel the gig due to food poisining my time had come to see them on September 26th 2009 - Highlights of the show for me were the obvious encores and singles package near the end but also I was i was your mother (acoustic) Sweet Jane and Born Late 58 overall what a fantastic sight to see them all back on stage (Buffin excluded) made up for my dissapointmet i the 70s sound was clear as a bell and fantastic and the venue made the event really special and intimate - Wish i could make it to London - Steve Cullompton Devon

    ReplyDelete