Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 3: Thoughts on Monmouth





I wanted to thank those who posted info about the Monmouth shows and to give a few thoughts on the setlist before we start to focus on London and Hammersmith. I'm attaching a few more photos from Steve.

I'm going to assume the setlist and order will be pretty much the same in London.

The choice of "Hymn for the Dudes" to open surprised me, but only a bit. After all, Ian Hunter has shown some penchant for opening with slow stuff in recent hyears. "Rest in Peace" opens both his live CDs of this decade.

In a way, "Hymn for the Dudes" gives IH the opportunity to set right the fiasco opening of his London show of 2005, the last time he played a full set with Mick Ralphs in London. That was the night IH came out singing "Hymn for the Dudes" while the rest of the band was playing something else. I don't remember the other song in question, but I do remember IH singing a verse of "Hymn" then turning to Mark Bosch and saying, "No?" before finishing with the other song. So this time we'll hear the whole "Hymn." I love the song, so we'll see.

No "Thunderbuck Ram" on the set, and I'm thinking, what with the reports that Mick Ralphs' voice is weaker, "Ram" is now out of his range and will have to be retired. Too bad, I was hoping for it.

They seem to have put thought into some of the arrangements. I can't wait to hear "The Saturday Gigs" performed as I've read it was.

So much for the thought that the Mott and The Hoople albums would be ignored. If you count "The Saturday Gigs" among The Hoople songs, as I think you should, eight of the 21 songs were from those albums.

As to the omission of "No Wheels to Ride;" Guys, you've got a guy out there who has more tha paid his dues as a MTH and IH fan, and he lives for the song. Don't go breaking that poor Scotsman's heart.

4 comments:

  1. I also thought the shows were going to concentrate soley on the first 4 - and had t-shirts made to order specifically for those covers. Oh well.I still couldnt be happier. Wednesday I fly out for a full fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 from All the Young Dudes (Dudes, One of the Boys, Sweet Jane, Sucker & Ready for Love)5 from Mott (Memphis, HB, Hymn, Ballad of Mott & I Wish I Was Your Mother), 3 from The Hoople (Golden Age, Roll Away the Stone & Born Late 58), plus Saturday Gigs made it all worthwhile for us Johhny come lately Columbia fans. Loved the song choice, but do think they need to put a hit earlier for all of those not-so diehards. See you Thursday John (I can only work out how to comment anonymously). Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEEED.....MORE.....MAD....SHADOWS...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hymn for the Dudes" to open ! it doesn't get any better. My all-time fave

    ReplyDelete