Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 21: Another Monmouth show

"Where do you all come from?" -- Where Do You All Come From (1974)

Sorry, running behind because of travel.
Gonna take a one-day break from the album countdown and comment on the annnouncement that yet another warm-up show has been added for the Blake Theatre in Monmouth, Wales.

Bottom line is that the anticipated “first appearance” of Mott the Hoople Mark I in 36 years has been changed for the third time and now is set for Friday, Sept. 25. Will even that stay firm?
I wasn’t planning on Monmouth, but at least I felt good about the idea that if the first show had been Saturday as once believed, I’d be flying across the ocean to get there as they played. Now, I’ll be sitting at my desk working. And it does bother me.

But I feel most sorry for the persons who had such an attachment to the notion of seeing the first show that they’d booked Monmouth and must alter travel plans again if possible and commit to yet another concert. I know I felt that way originally and felt burned by the addition of a Thursday show for Hammersmith afer Friday and Saturday had sold out. My irritation was assuaged after I wound up with a front-row seat for Thursday, but really two concerts would have been fine for me and now I’m committed to three. That did show me that I couldn’t hope to keep up with a moving target, so Monmouth was never a question.

I don’t begrudge the band for taking advantage of this opportunity to sell out theatres, and I don’t begrudge the fans in their roots area the chance to see them first. I just hope nothing more happens to steal the thunder of the Oct. 1 gig. The band need to realize that a lot of fans worldwide are making a major investment in that show, and it should retain a special feel – different set list, longer stage time, special guests. And I hope they don’t burn themselves out in Wales.

I want to meet the person who’ll attend all seven gigs. Anyone who does should get some sort of distinction. If you can prove you’ve been to the two Monmouth gigs and the first four Hammersmith gigs you should be brought backstage for the finale. Hell, you should be on stage for the finale.

But that’s well beyond my endurance and funds.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, do I hear you on that.....I was so excited to book the Friday London show then plan a trip from DC only to see the Thursday show....then Monmouth added....I did get Thursday tickets, but could not swing Wales...will look anxiously for your review of the first show!!!

    Walt (wlohmann@kirkland.com)

    ReplyDelete