Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 17: Countdown No. 1, Mott (1973)

"''Cos if you think you are a star, for so long they'll come from near and far. But you'll forget just who you are. You ain't the Nazz. You're just a buzz. Some kinda temporary ... " -- Hymn for the Dudes (1973)

This one finishes on top, deservedly so.

Debate all you want about MTH glam or not glam, pre- or post-Bowie, Verden in or out, Ralphs or Bender. Once all's said, this was one of the top albums of the greatest era in rock history.

Give it a spin to quench any emotion.

Angry? Shout along to "Violence."

Lonesome? Shed a tear to "I Wish I Was Your Mother." Defiant? Sing along to "Hymn for the Dudes," with a proviso -- the version on the three-disk anthology is superior to the Mott version.

Wistful? The guitar part alone should get you on "Ballad of MTH." And the full song is a heavyweight.

Happy? "Memphis" and "Honaloochie Boogie" are two of the most infectious songs ever recorded.

This was the album, and "Memphis" the track, that in 1973 pulled me away from AM radio and into a lifetime of appreciation of Mott the Hoople.

I know circumstances might push them into a supporting spot, but I hope to hear a lot of these songs at Hammersmith.

SONG RATINGS (OUT OF 5)

All the Way From Memphis (5)
Whizz Kidd (4)
Hymn for the Dudes (5)
Honaloochie Boogie (5)
Violence (3.5)
Drivin Sister (3.5)
Ballad of Mott the Hoople (5)
I'm a Cadillac/El Camino Dolo Rosa (2.5)
I Wish I Was Your Mother (5)

No comments:

Post a Comment