Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 27: Something for Saturday

"Watch the audience laugh as my head hits the floor." -- Marionette (1974)

Just learned today about this MTH-related event for Oct. 3 in London, and it's great because Saturday was open on my calendar and now I'll have something to do.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Troubador and the various Mick Ronson offerings. And I'm especially looking forward to seeing the photography of former MTH pianist Morgan Fisher.

The best thing, though, is that this is the first indication I've seen that Fisher, who lives in Japan, will be in London for the shows. I'd hoped, but didn't know. It raises the chances Fisher will get some stage time at the Hammersmith, which he totally deserves.

Fisher has done a lot to keep the MTH name alive over the dark years, from his work with tribute bands in Japan to his mini-documentary of the band during its 1974 U.S. tour, a YouTube staple for MTH fans the last few years. Just as Ian Hunter's Diary of a Rock Star provided literary insight to life on the road with MTH's 1972 tour as a backdrop, this video does the same visually for the 1974 tour and Mark II band, which, as I've said, really was my MTH.

Fisher was just as important to the sound of the Mark II band as Verden Allen was to the Mark I band. His playing is all over The Hoople, which I've always liked. I look forward to meeting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment