Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 15: The bands of today


"The dude in the paint thinks he's gonna faint -- stoke more coke on the fire." -- The Golden Age of Rock N Roll (1974)

I saw the Killers a week ago at Red Rocks Amphitheatre outside Denver, the fifth time I've seen this band. Great show. Obviously I like the Killers, but then I'm the type who's easily awed by confetti and bright, blinking lights.

No, really: One reason I like them is that they are so clearly influenced by bands of my era.

Their shows always include one brief nod to their rock heritage. I love that. They did a snippet of Bowie's "Rock and Roll With Me" on tour a few years ago. This time it was Elvis' "Can't Help Falling In Love."

I hear a lot of the Cars in them. I hear a lot of U2. When they play "Bones," I hear Queen. When they play "This River is Wild," I hear Springsteen. And here's one: I see some Roxy Music, if only because Bryan Ferry wore dinner jackets and Brandon Flowers used to wear vests. Oh, and they have the same initials.

Lamentably, no Mott the Hoople, but if I ever get the chance I'm going to ask them what they think. They've done a collaboration with Lou Reed -- "Tranquilize" -- so there's your MTH link. "Sweet Jane" and "Tranquilize," 36 years apart.

And the New York Dolls opened for them in California this week, so there's your trivia. Name a band that has opened for both MTH and the Killers. It's the Dolls.

I signed up on the Killers site, and I believe I am the oldest one there.

Anyway -- while the MTH countdown continues, I'd love to hear from you what current bands you listen to. Who's carrying on the tradition? Give me some ideas. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment