Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 26: Reminiscing on past trips

"Oh rescue me, or bury me; I care not what you do." -- Sweet Angeline (1972)

I'd probably never have been to Europe were it not for the music of Ian Hunter.

Instead, this trip for the MTH reunion shows will be my fifth visit. I'm not wealthy, but I am frugal and efficient, so I've gotten to see a lot of things.

I remember the night I decided I'd make my first visit. I was waiting on the autograph line at Amoeba Records in Hollywood after Ian's appearance at the store in March 2002. He was talking to someone ahead of me about Mick Ralphs' participation in Ian's upcoming UK tour. That wasn't news to me, but hearing him actually talking about it made me resolve, "I'm going to do this." I did, catching the show at The Junction in Cambridge and including coverage of a boxing match on the trip. It was my first time overseas. Man, I remember the first-day jetlag. I was almost comatose in the lobby of the bed and breakfast waiting for my room to open up.

Other times, I've tried to incorporate visits to other countries as part of my UK visit. In 2004 it was France. I rode to Paris on the EuroStar and visited Disneyland Paris, the Louvre and other places over three days there. It was gratifying because it was just 10 days after I'd had an angiogram and my cardiologist initially told me I couldn't go. That trip included the Astoria show captured on the Just Another Night DVD, probably the most memorable show I've ever seen. I also remember seeing Alvin Lee at the Royal Albert Hall the night before Ian's show.

In 2005 I took a side trip to Rome, which I really enjoyed. I like being on my own in a place like that, just walking around and seeing what I want to see -- the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Forum and other spots. I stayed in a converted convent and took pride in mastering the subway and bus lines. I also went to Stonehenge on that trip. That IH show was at the Astoria also.

2007 was England only and I probably shouldn't have gone, as I left work in the lurch for a few days at a busy time. It was a short trip to London, which doesn't make much sense. But it was that night at Shepherd's Bush that the seeds were planted for this MTH reunion, so it was great to be there. And I got to go to the after-show party.

This time the added country on the itinerary will be Ireland.

I've got a tour of Dublin booked for Sunday, Sept. 27, and I look forward to placing a guitar pick at the statue of Phil Lynott. I've got a day trip to County Cork set for Monday, Sept. 28, and I look forward to seeing the port where my maternal grandfather departed for America in 1905. I'd always said that when I first visited Ireland I'd do research there on my family, but that isn't going to happen -- not enough time.

I've also got another day trip to Paris and an extensive tour of London planned. Here is where I stay in London.

It's going to take a lot out of me. I'll have to work past midnight on Friday, Sept. 25 for high school football before my flight around noon Saturday. At least a couple of the nights on the trip will be without sleep. And I might very well have to work the day after I get back; don't know yet.

I'd love to hear what others have planned in addition to the MTH shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment