Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 13: Buffin news

"And the kings are dying, the queens are crying, and the princes now stake their claim." -- Honoloochie Boogie (alternate lyrics, 1973)

Well, we finally got the announcement about Dale "Buffin" Griffin today in a news release from CeeDee Management -- Buffin is unable to participate fully in the MTH reunion shows. Martin Chambers of the Pretenders will be the drummer.

I've said all I had to say about the subject in this post a couple of weeks ago, so I won't belabor it.

I'll be happy to see Buffin on stage with everyone else. If he can't play, he can't play. They've got a world-class drummer to sit in. I don't feel cheated. It's a stark reminder that, no matter how much we'd like it to be, it's not 1971 anymore, not for any of us. It will still be good to see him with the others.

The announcement seems disingenuous, as Chambers' involvement has been known for more than seven months, but who knows, maybe Buffin gave it a try during rehearsals. We can't say.

This news does tell me that this reunion begins and ends with Hammersmith, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment